5th Bremen Symposium on Foreign Language Teaching and Learning - Content & Diversity: New Challenges for Language Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Friday, 20 February 2015 – Saturday, 21 February 2015 at the University of Bremen
Call for Papers
International cooperation, global interdependence, as well as an increase in migration within Europe and around the world have made the higher educational landscape more colorful – both linguistically and culturally. This has brought changes to language learning needs. On the one hand, heterogeneous and multilingual groups of learners should be ‘attended to’ in a way that all the learners can further their own learning processes, taking intercultural aspects, subject specialization and plurilingualism (both existing and aspired) into consideration. On the other hand, the call for more standardization and certification is on the rise. This field of unresolved tension raises new questions:
- How can the subject and language content of language courses in higher education be suitably integrated?
- What role does intercultural learning play in competence-oriented courses, and how can it be facilitated?
- How can the linguistic and cultural diversity of groups of learners be taken into consideration in terms of curriculum and methodology?
- How can individual learning processes be fostered, and what role do alternative and innovative forms of learning and teaching such as online-learning, tutoring and coaching play?
To answer these questions, the symposium would like to provide a forum for the presentation of concepts and the exchange of ideas and practical examples.
- Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)
- Interculturalism and Language Integrated Learning
- Teaching groups of multilingual learners
- Learner Differences and Learning and Teaching Strategies
Length of each talk
25 minutes, with an additional 10 minutes for discussion
Talks may be held in
German or English, (another language is subject to agreement with the organizing team)
Submission of Abstracts
Online only - on the following website
Submisson deadline: 15 October 2014
Registration by 31 December 2014: 70 €/ reduced 55 €
Registration after 1 January 2015: 80 €/ reduced 65 €
Presenters: 55 €
Registration and further Information
(Registration will be open from 1 September 2014)
News from Jul 23, 2014